Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 4 hrs
Cook 20 mins
A wonderful cooler weather meal, pork chops and applesauce go so good together! Marinating the pork chops in milk make them very juicy and tender. To save time prepare the applesauce ahead of time and serve it at room temperature. Plan ahead the chops have to marinate in milk and salt for 1-4 hours.
- 2 -3 cups milk
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 8 pork chops (about 1/2-inch thick, with or without bone)
- 4 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 -2 tablespoon minced fresh garlic or 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme (rubbed between fingers to release flavors)
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt (can use table salt)
- black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 1⁄4 cup butter (more as needed) or 1⁄4 cup margarine (more as needed)
- 3 lbs apples (McIntosh or Gala apples are good fore this)
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup sugar (or to taste)
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1 pinch cinnamon (optional)
- In a dish mix together milk and 2 teaspoons salt (make sure that the salt is dissolved).
- Add in pork chops.
- Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or up to 4 hours (turning once within the hour).
- To make the applesauce: (this can be done a day ahead) peel, core and chop the apples.
- Place into a saucepan and add in the remaining ingredients; bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer covered, stirring occasionally until apples are very soft and falling apart (this should take about 15-20 minutes, adjusting the sugar to taste).
- Mash the apples with a fork; set aside.
- For the pork chops: in a bowl mix together bread crumbs, garlic, rosemary, thyme and 1 teaspoon seasoning salt or white salt and pepper.
- Lift the pork chops from the milk one at a time (shake off any excess milk).
- Dredge in the pork chops, lightly, patting down with hands to adhere the crumbs to the chops.
- Arrange onto a plate or tray.
- Heat oil and butter in a skillet.
- Sauté the pork chops (without crowding in the pan) until golden brown, adding more butter to the pan if needed.
- Serve the pork chops with applesauce.
This was an AWESOME dinner...thanks so much for posting. Followed everything, except my chops were over an inch thick, so after browning them in the butter and oil, I put them in the oven on 325* for about 30 minutes to cook through. Then I threw them back in the pan to crisp the breading back up. These were the best breaded pork chops I ever made. They were soooo tender and juicy...must be the milk marinade. The applesauce...YUMMY and perfectly spiced! Followed exact, even used Gala apples, BUT I cooked it in the microwave instead of on the stovetop. It took about 10 minutes or so. I mashed the apple with a potato masher, stirred everything up, let it come to room temperature and then chilled it because we like it cold. Served with green beans and homemade buns. Thanks again! ;)