1/4 Photos of Milk Kefir Does Your Body Good
48 hrs 5 mins
A sour and pungent, milk kefir is a cultured dairy food originally from the Caucuses – the region where Europe meets Asia. I find it's texture to a drinkable plain yogurt Rich in beneficial bacteria, phosphorus, vitamin K, biotin and folic acid – nutrients that are essential to health and well-being. Good reading about kefir http://nourishedkitchen.com/milk-kefir/ Kefir Grains can be found http://www.culturesforhealth.com/ or http://www.kefirlady.com/orderkefirgrains.htm
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 tablespoon milk, kefir grains
- 1 quart fresh cow milk or 1 quart goat's milk or 1 quart coconut milk, unsweetened undiluted
For additional benefits and taste
- 1Place milk kefir grains in the bottom of a clean mason jar. Cover with 1 quart fresh milk.
- 2Very loosely, place the lid and band on the mason jar. You do not want to tighten it because, as with all fermentation, carbon dioxide is created and needs to escape. Culture for 24 – 48 hours at room temperature. For a for a thin, mild kefir you can culture for 12 hours.
- 3Once culturing is complete, strain milk kefir into a new mason jar, cap and refrigerate. Begin re-culturing a new batch of kefir, if desired or allow your kefir grains to rest in water in the refrigerator for a few days until you’re ready to make kefir again.
- 4"Cultures for Health suggests that it may take a batch or two for the milk kefir grains to adapt)" and for the grains to grow.
- 5Optional second ferment:.
- 6After the first 24 hours I strain and add a half an organic lemon to it and let it set for an other 24 hours. Then chill.
- 7Or I add a bunch of organic fresh or frozen berries and let sit for 24 hours then chill.
- 8You can combine the lemon and berries or add whatever fruit u most enjoy.
- 9But it must be organic.
- 10If you desire a smooth texture you can blend it. Yes the lemon rind at all!
Browse Our Top Beverages Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Beverages Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Milk Kefir Does Your Body Good
Serving Size: 1 (285 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 158.6
- Calories from Fat 81
- Total Fat 9.0 g
- Saturated Fat 5.6 g
- Cholesterol 34.6 mg
- Sodium 121.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 8.1 g