Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
These bars take a little extra time to make but are well worth it! Be sure to use Eagle Brand sweetened condensed milk (or another brand you are familiar with) for best results. Several people have requested this recipe so I decided to post it and forward them all copies. Enjoy!
- 177.44 ml margarine
- 177.44 ml brown sugar, packed
- 354.88 ml all-purpose flour
- 396.89 g can sweetened condensed milk
- 29.58 ml margarine
- 414.03 ml milk chocolate chips
- 314.66 ml toffee pieces (Skor bits)
- Preheat oven to 350° (325° glass pan).
- Grease 9x13 pan.
- To prepare crust, cream all ingredients until very well blended.
- Press evenly into pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until light brown.
- Set aside to cool while making the filling.
- Heat milk and margarine on stove, stirring constantly, until thickened.
- This will take 5-10 minutes.
- Spread over crust.
- Bake for 15 minutes, until golden brown.
- Sprinkle evenly with chocolate chips.
- Return to oven for 2 minutes to melt the chocolate.
- Remove from oven and spread chocolate smooth.
- Sprinkle toffee bits on top.
- Using the back of a spoon, gently press the toffee into the melted chocolate.
- Cool completely.
- Cut into bars before refrigerating.
I made these for our neighborhood Christmas cookie gift exchange this past year. They turned our pretty good and got ok reviews. The recipe doubled easily.
I won't make these again...not worth the time and effort. If I were to make them again, I would make sure to heat the margarine and condensed milk over medium to medium low heat; I heated it on medium high and the milk mixture burned on the bottom and sides of my saucepan (even though I stirred constantly). I salvaged what I could and continued on with the instructions. The entire dish took several hours to set up in the fridge, and even though I pre-cut the squares prior to refrigerating, they were rock-hard when I finally got one out of the baking dish (I had an awful time getting them out without breaking them/the layers separating, even though I greased the dish very well). The only thing I can think of that I did wrong (aside from burning the condensed milk) was that I missed the temp in the instructions, and preheated my oven to 350 instead of 325 for a glass baking dish. Unfortunately these will be thrown out, as my kids don't care much for the taste/texture. Sorry!
What a winner, loved the toffee pieces on top of the chocolate.