From what I can see, this is different than the other chocolate pies listed. It's my grandmother's recipe. The effort is well worth it!
- Put pie shell in the oven to pre-cook for a couple of minutes, until lightly browned.
- Mix and cook filling ingredients in the top half of a double boiler.
- Stir constantly until mixture begins to thicken. This will take about 20 minutes. The texture should resemble a pudding.
- Put on lid and let cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in butter and vanilla.
- Pour into baked pie shell.
- Beat egg whites and salt until almost stiff.
- Add a large dash of cream of tartar.
- Add sugar one tablespoon at a time.
- Beat until stiff peaks form.
- Top chocolate with stiff egg whites.
- Bake at 375 degrees until meringue is lightly golden.