Recipe by AmandaInOz
From what I can see, this is different than the other chocolate pies listed. It's my grandmother's recipe. The effort is well worth it!
Top Review by Droopy Drawers, By Lucy Lastic
I thought this pie was OK, but not great. After an hour of constant stirring on the boiler it still had not thickened up very well. I ended up taking it off the heat for fear of it burning. It was very runny. The taste was reasonable, a bit too sweet for my liking but the kids liked it very much. But I don't know if I'll make it again, sorry.
- 1 frozen pie shell
- 3 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups milk
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 3 egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 egg whites
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1 dash cream of tartar
- 1 dash salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Put pie shell in the oven to pre-cook for a couple of minutes, until lightly browned.
- Mix and cook filling ingredients in the top half of a double boiler.
- Stir constantly until mixture begins to thicken. This will take about 20 minutes. The texture should resemble a pudding.
- Put on lid and let cook for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in butter and vanilla.
- Pour into baked pie shell.
- Beat egg whites and salt until almost stiff.
- Add a large dash of cream of tartar.
- Add sugar one tablespoon at a time.
- Beat until stiff peaks form.
- Top chocolate with stiff egg whites.
- Bake at 375 degrees until meringue is lightly golden.