Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a classic made from a custard base and is the BEST ice cream that you will ever eat!! Cooling time is not included.
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 cup homogenized milk
- 5 egg yolks
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 8 ounces finely chopped milk chocolate
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup toasted chopped macadamia nuts (or toasted almonds)
- Bring the cream& milk to a boil in a medium saucepan.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the egg yolks, sugar& salt.
- SLOWLY whisk the hot milk mixture into the egg yolks, then place the mixture into a clean saucepan over a low heat.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture reaches 176F or 80°C.
- Strain the mixture immediately into a bowl containing the chocolate& vanilla.
- Stir to melt the chocolate, then set the bowl over ice& stir until cool.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- Next day, freeze in an ice cream machine according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- Once it has thickened, stir in the nuts.
This is hands down the best chocolate ice cream! EASY too! The nuts I used tasted a bit off, but the ice cream was amazing! I can hardly wait to make it Rocky Road with pecans and marshmallows! Thank you so much for sharing!
Very good ice cream. Straining the custard mixture before adding it to the chocolate is a good step.
This is absolutely delicious, rich and creamy ice cream. I patiently roasted the macadamia nuts until they were fragrant, then made the chocolate custard. I don't have a thermometer that will go as low as the specified temperature, so I cooked the mixture until it was thickened, but had not boiled. Then, after a thorough cooling, I put it in the ice cream machine. I didn't measure the amount, but think the recipe yielded a bit less than 3 cups. Thank you for the recipe.