Recipe by CountryLady
This is a classic made from a custard base and is the BEST ice cream that you will ever eat!! Cooling time is not included.
Top Review by Queer Eye in the Kitchen Guy
This is hands down the best chocolate ice cream! EASY too! The nuts I used tasted a bit off, but the ice cream was amazing! I can hardly wait to make it Rocky Road with pecans and marshmallows! Thank you so much for sharing!
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 cup homogenized milk
- 5 egg yolks
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 pinch salt
- 8 ounces finely chopped milk chocolate
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup toasted chopped macadamia nuts (or toasted almonds)
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring the cream& milk to a boil in a medium saucepan.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the egg yolks, sugar& salt.
- SLOWLY whisk the hot milk mixture into the egg yolks, then place the mixture into a clean saucepan over a low heat.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture reaches 176F or 80°C.
- Strain the mixture immediately into a bowl containing the chocolate& vanilla.
- Stir to melt the chocolate, then set the bowl over ice& stir until cool.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- Next day, freeze in an ice cream machine according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- Once it has thickened, stir in the nuts.