1/4 Photos of Milk Chocolate Frosted Layer Cake
1 hr 30 mins
This light and delicate square layer chocolate cake is loaded with an ultra creamy milk chocolate icing. Be sure to use cake flour, not all-purpose, to give your cake its delicate texture. Instead of slicing into squares, I prefer to slice vertically down the center, then cut slices horizontally about 1 inch apiece. I found this recipe in Food an Wine magazine. Cook time also reflects cooling time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/4 cups cake flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 1 cup sugar (divided by 1/2 cups)
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1 1/2 lbs milk chocolate, finely chopped
- shaved milk chocolate, for garnish (optional)
- 1Preheat the oven to 325°.
- 2Butter and flour two 9" -square cake pans; set aside.
- 3In a medium bowl, whisk the cake flour, cocoa and baking powder; set aside.
- 4In a medium saucepan, melt the butter in the milk over low heat.
- 5Transfer to a large bowl and allow to cool slightly.
- 6Whisk in the egg yolks and 1/2 cup of the sugar.
- 7Add the dry ingredients and whisk until smooth; set aside.
- 8In a clean bowl, beat the egg whites with the salt until soft peaks form. Gradually add the remaining 1/2 cup sugar and beat at medium-high speed until the whites are stiff and glossy.
- 9Fold beaten egg whites into the batter until no streaks remain.
- 10Divide the batter between the two cake pans and bake for 25 minutes, or until the cakes are springy and a toothpick inserted in the centers comes out clean.
- 11Transfer the cakes to a rack and allow to cool completely.
- 12While the cakes are cooling, in a medium saucepan, bring the heavy cream to a simmer.
- 13Put the chocolate in a heatproof bowl and pour the hot cream on top.
- 14Allow to stand for 3 minutes, then whisk melted chocolate until smooth.
- 15Let the frosting stand at room temperature, stirring occasionally, until thick enough to spread, about 1 hour.
- 16Turn the cakes out of the pans and put one layer on a plate.
- 17Top with 1 cup of the frosting, spreading it to the edge.
- 18Top with the second layer and spread the remaining frosting over the top and sides.
- 19Let the cake stand at room temperature for about 30 minutes before cutting into squares.
- 20Serve and enjoy.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Milk Chocolate Frosted Layer Cake
Serving Size: 1 (173 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 704.8
- Calories from Fat 417
- Total Fat 46.3 g
- Saturated Fat 25.7 g
- Cholesterol 201.2 mg
- Sodium 125.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 63.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 46.7 g
- Protein 10.1 g