Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Best I ever had. Not too gooey and overly "chocolatey." My wife omitted the coconot ad the nuts. Bought the mentioned old cookbook at a library book sale. I highly recommend the book. Great recipes in it. From "Country Fair Cookbook. Every recipe a Blue Ribbon Winner." By the Food Editors of Farm Journal. Garden City, New York: Doubleday & Company, Inc., 1975. That the recipe states in the book: "No need to frost these brownies. The topping is baked on."
- 118.29 ml butter or 118.29 ml regular margarine
- 473.18 ml sugar
- 4 eggs
- 9.85 ml vanilla
- 354.88 ml sifted flour
- 118.29 ml cocoa
- 2.46 ml salt
- 236.59 ml flaked coconut
- 118.29 ml semi-sweet chocolate piece
- 29.58 ml sugar
- 118.29 ml chopped walnuts
- Melt butter in saucepan over low heat. Add 2 cups sugar; beat well. Mix in eggs and vanilla; blend well.
- Sift together flour, cocoa, and salt. Add to sugar mixture and mix thoroughly. Stir in coconut. Spread in greased 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan.
- Combine chocolate pieces, 2 tblsp. sugar and walnuts; sprinkle evenly over batter.
- Bake in a 350 F oven 25 minutes or until done. Cool in pan on rack. Cut in 2 1/2 x 1-inch bars. Makes 2 dozen.
Although I pretty much made these as given, I did omit the nuts, simply because I took it to share at one of the weekly meetings we attend, & several people there have an allergy! Made these instead of my own outrageously gooy & rich brownies, but I must admit that yours got all kinds of raves & 'oh, yeahs'! Definitely a winner recipe! Thanks for sharing it! [Made & reviewed in Zaar Chef Alphabet Soup recipe tag]