Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
Makes a wonderful, sweet (ish) soft whole wheat bread that is great toasted with butter and honey in the mornings. Gets stale pretty quickly so plan on using it quickly or freeze it in slices. Topped with seeds makes wonderful gifts. Notes: add additional 1 T honey or molasses for sweeter bread. Can substitute up to 1 cup of other whole grains/wheat flours including oatmeal, cornmeal, rye for whole wheat flour. Oil optional. you can save a small amount of the egg white to brush on the bread for a shiny crust. Can top with sesame/sunflower/poppy seeds just before removing from oven.
- Combine water, sugar and yeast. Mix in salt, honey, milk, and oil (if using).
- In a separate large bowl mix together white and whole wheat flours.
- Slowly pour liquid into 1 C of flour. Add remaining flour 1/2 C at a time, stirring well after each addition. When dough has pulled together turn onto a floured surface. Knead until bread is silky, about 10 minutes if by hand.
- Put into oiled bowl, cover with a damp towel and put in a warm draft-free place. Let rise for approx 45 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 500 with baking stone on bottom shelf and a pan on top shelf.
- Punch down and form into loaves. Slash tops with sharp knife or put into loaf pans. Let rise again until doubled in size.
- For a shiny crust, brush loaves with beaten egg.
- Slide into oven and pour 1/2 cup warm water into top shelf's pan to create steam.
- Bake at 500 for 5 minutes then turn oven down to 400. Bake until golden brown/loaves sound hollow, approximately 10-15 minutes if in small loaves, 25+ minutes if in loaf pans.