Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
A quick bread, not a yeast bread, another of my longtime favorites adapted from my old Vegetarian Epicure cookbook. Unbelievably delicious spread with butter & honey--also good with cream cheese.
- 1 cup milk
- 2⁄3 cup honey
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups white flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1 cup walnut halves (optional) or 1 cup walnuts, chunks (optional)
- Heat milk and honey together until honey is dissolved, then stir in the butter.
- When the milk-butter mixture is somewhat cooled, beat in the eggs.
- Sift together the flour through salt; add wheat germ.
- Gradually stir the dry mixture into the liquid.
- Stir in nuts (if desired).
- Turn into 9 X 5-inch loaf pan.
- Bake at 325°F 1 hour.
Only complaint is that it is too sweet for us but easy to correct and you can adjust sweetness to your taste buds. Otherwise a very good little bread and can be quite addictive. You could also use maple syrup if you like it.
I was a little worried as the butter was melting into the milk and honey as it started to clot up but one it cooled and I beat the egg into it it was fine. This is a good quick wheat bread with a sweet taste to it. We really enjoyed this alot!! THanks for posting!!
My mom loves this bread! It was just a little too sweet for me, but everyone else is raving about it!