Mile High Strawberry Pie With Pecan Crumb Crust
- Preheat oven to 350. Mix melted butter, pecans, flour and brown sugar in medium bowl with fork until thoroughly mixed. Will be crumbly.
- Place crumb mixture onto 10x15x1" cookie sheet, carefully spreading without packing to cover pan. Bake 10-15 minutes, stirring periodically to brown crumbs and avoid burning.
- Remove crumbs from oven when lightly browned and set on cooling rack to cool, stirring periodically so that crumbs do not compact.
- Next, place egg whites, partially frozen berries and lemon juice in large mixing bowl, beating with electric mixture at high speed for 15 minutes, until filling is a pink 'cloud'.
- Fold whipped topping into strawberry mixture, carefully folding to not 'flatten' cloud.
- Spread 3/4 of crumb mixture into 9x13 pan. Fill with strawberry mixture. Sprinkle remaining crumbs over top. Cover and freeze at least 4 hours, preferably day before serving. Cook time is minimum freezing time.
- Note: Can replace frozen strawberries with 2 Cups sliced fresh strawberries, macerated with 1 Cup sugar. I prefer to use frozen strawberries that are set on counter while crumbs are prepared and baked. I have also substituted Whipped Cream for frozen topping. Place in cold bowl 1 cup heavy cream, and while beating add 2 tablespoons confectioners sugar, 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract. Fold into strawberry cloud in step 5.
- 2nd Note: Can use two 10" deep dish pie plates instead of 9x13" pan. Makes a great dessert to take to church suppers or dessert for a meal taken to sick friend.