Recipe by Hey Jude
This is a really nice, light dinner during the summer type of meal, or a lunch on the weekends.
Top Review by Linda B
My family gobbled these up! I followed recipe exactly, cooking the shrimp on a Foreman grill. The mixture of tastes is just indescribable. After we finished, my husband mixed the mashed avocado/lime with the carrot/onion and used it as a dip with a piece of leftover toasted bread. He suggested that I make this by itself sometime. We really liked this sandwich & it makes an attractive presentation, too. Thanks, Hey Jude, for another outstanding recipe.
- 1 large carrot, peeled and julienned
- 1⁄4 cup julienned red onion
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper, to taste
- kosher salt
- 1 avocado
- 1 lime, juice of
- 6 slices sourdough bread or 6 slices other coarse crusty bread, light toasted
- 1 package radish sprouts or 1 package alfalfa sprout
- 1 1⁄2 lbs peeled deveined and cooked shrimp
Directions See How It's Made
- Blanch the julienned carrot in rapidly boiling salted water for about 30 seconds, or until the color is set, but the carrot is still very crip.
- Drain well and cool under cold running water.
- Pat dry.
- Combine carrot, onion, lemon juice, brown sugar, ginger and cayenne in a small bowl and toss to mix.
- Season with salt and additional cayenne, if desired.
- Set aside.
- Halve avocado, remove pit and scoop the flesh into a small bowl.
- Mash, then add the lime juice and salt to taste; stir to combine.
- Lay the toast on a plate.
- Spread with the mashed avocado, then lightly mound some sprouts over the avocado and sprinkle with the carrot salad.
- Arrange the shrimp over the salad.
- *Cook the shrimp anyway you like but this is great with hot off the grill (indoor or outdoor) shrimp!