1/1 Photo of Mile High Pumpkin Maringue Pie
3 hrs 10 mins
Chef #1800342798's Note:
This is the BEST Pumpkin Pie I have ever had, people who don't like pumpkin pie have said this is great! The making of the pie can be a little persnikety, but the results are well worth it. This pie is a great culinary challenge that is sure to impress guests over the holiday season. From the 2009 Fall edition of Taste Magazine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/2 cups ginger snaps, Crushed
- 1/3 cup butter, Melted
- 1 (6 ounce) package unflavored gelatin
- 2 tablespoons brandy (Can substitute water or alcohol free brandy flavouring)
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 14 ounces canned pumpkin
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 large eggs, Separated
- 1 teaspoon orange zest, fine
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 3Combine ginger snap crumbs and melted butter in a bowl. Stir to Blend. Press into the bottom and up the sides of a deep dish 9-in (23cm) pie plate. Bake in the centre of the oven for 15 minutes, or until crisp and golden around the sides. Move to a rack to cool.
- 5Sprinkle gelatin over brandy in a small bowl. Let stand until softened.
- 6Scrape brandy mixture into a saucepan along with sugar, spices, pumpkin, milk, egg YOLKS, and orange zest. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture "mounds when dropped from a spoon".
- 7Transfer filling to a metal bowl and set in a larger bowl of ice and cold water. Cool, stirring Constantly.
- 8Beat egg whites and sugar until stiff peaks form. Fold into pumpkin mixture with sour cream until no streaks remain.
- 9Spoon filling into cooled crust and chill until set, preferably overnight. (You can cook from this point and skip the meringue if you don't like it. Bake at 350F for 10 minutes or until the filling looks cooked. Refrigerate until served).
- 11Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 12Whip egg whites and cream of tartar with an electric mixer at medium speed until foamy.
- 13Continue whipping at medium-high speed, gradually adding sugar until fully incorporated. Continue to whip until whites hold a stiff peak.
- 14Dollop over chilled pie. Place on a baking sheet and bake for 10 minutes or until meringue is golden.
- 15Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- 16Sprinkle with ground ginger snaps if you wish.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mile High Pumpkin Maringue Pie
Serving Size: 1 (269 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 687.1
- Calories from Fat 180
- Total Fat 20.0 g
- Saturated Fat 9.2 g
- Cholesterol 99.6 mg
- Sodium 794.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 98.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.3 g
- Sugars 53.2 g
- Protein 28.5 g