Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
All you need is a electric frying pan, for this easy basic Brunch dish. Good served with toast and sliced tomatoes. Baking time depends on the number of eggs used. Kids really enjoy this due to its simplicity (I have even omitted the mushrooms) but feel free to change this recipe to reflect your tastes.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 6 -10 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups cheese, grated
- Heat large electric frying pan to 300°F Fry mushrooms in butter.
- Meanwhile separate eggs whites and yolks into 2 different bowls. Beat egg whites until stiff. Set aside.
- Beat egg yolks, salt, pepper, flour, baking powder and milk.
- Fold in egg whites into yolk mixture. Gently pour over mushrooms. Seal tightly with lid and DO NOT lift lid. Cook for 10 to 15 minutes. Sprinkle grated cheese over omelette. Close lid and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Cut into squares and serve with toast.
Oh my....such a light and airy omelette! My Mother used to make omelettes using this technique way back in the 60's...and have always loved them this way. I didn't have any mushrooms so just left them out. I used 8 eggs and it was just perfect for our family. Just one thing....I noticed in the directions you mention flour...however...in the ingredient list it is not there....so I just left it out. Will be making this again for sure. Thank you!
This one is a five for the simplicity and ease in making a weekend breakfast.Tastes like a five too! I hesitated when it came to the milk but went with the recipe and it combined well. Always find beating and folding in the egg whites makes for light and this one is light - a pleasure to serve. Toast and sliced tomatoes go well with this Omelette. Thank you for sharing a recipe we will be making again and again.