Recipe by PaulaG
Are you tired of weepy, sticky meringue? This meringue will not let you down. It stands proud and adorns your favorite pie with a delicious mound of delicate meringue. The cook time does not reflect the time to cool the cornstarch mixture. This recipe is from one of my all time favorite cookbooks-- More Make-A-Mix Cookery,
- 3 egg whites, room temperature
- 44.37 ml sugar
- 14.79 ml cornstarch
- 0.25 ml salt
- 4.92 ml lemon juice
- 118.29 ml water
- 88.74 ml sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small saucepan, combine the cornstarch, 3 tablespoons sugar, salt, lemon juice and water.
- Bring to a slow boil over medium heat and stir until clear and thick.
- Set aside and cool completely.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add cooled cornstarch mixture, beating until mixture thickens.
- Gradually add 6 tablespoons sugar, beating until soft peaks form, approximately 5 to 8 minutes.
- Spoon the prepared meringue over your favorite pie and bake in a preheated 325 degree oven for 30 minutes or until golden brown.