Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Are you tired of weepy, sticky meringue? This meringue will not let you down. It stands proud and adorns your favorite pie with a delicious mound of delicate meringue. The cook time does not reflect the time to cool the cornstarch mixture. This recipe is from one of my all time favorite cookbooks-- More Make-A-Mix Cookery,
- In a small saucepan, combine the cornstarch, 3 tablespoons sugar, salt, lemon juice and water.
- Bring to a slow boil over medium heat and stir until clear and thick.
- Set aside and cool completely.
- In a large bowl, beat the egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add cooled cornstarch mixture, beating until mixture thickens.
- Gradually add 6 tablespoons sugar, beating until soft peaks form, approximately 5 to 8 minutes.
- Spoon the prepared meringue over your favorite pie and bake in a preheated 325 degree oven for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
My family liked it! I I will make it again. I did add 1/8 tsp to cream of tarter to the eggs.
To reach a true mile high meringue more egg whites are needed. Additionally, making the simple syrup is an unnecessary step. The same results (mediocre meringue) could have been reached with three egg whites and two-three tbsps of sugar baking for 12-15 minutes or your desired brownness.
forgot the stars. i would have given it a '10'!!!!!