4 hrs 12 mins
Originally from The Restaurants of New Orleans, Roy F, Guste, Jr., 1982, W. W. Norton & Co., Inc. This is excellent all year round, but is especially nice, cooling and refreshing in the summer months. I give the chef's original ice-cream flavor combo here, but feel free to experiment with different ice-cream flavors if you like.
My Private Note
nine in ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1 pint vanilla ice cream
- 1 pint chocolate ice cream
- 1 pint peppermint ice cream
- 8 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1To make the crust, sift together the flour and salt.
- 2Cut the shortening into the flour-salt mixture until the pieces are the size of small peas.
- 3Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of cold water over the flour mixture, and gently toss with a fork.
- 4Repeat until the dough is moistened.
- 5Form the dough into a ball, and roll out on a lightly floured surface to 1/8-inch thickness.
- 6Fit the crust loosely into a deep 9-inch pie pan, pricking well.
- 7Bake 10-12 minutes at 450° F.
- 9Layer the slightly softened ice cream in the pie shell.
- 10Beat the egg whites with the vanilla and cream of tartar until soft peaks form.
- 11Gradually add ½ cup of sugar, beating until the egg whites are stiff and glossy and the sugar has dissolved.
- 12Spread the meringue over the ice cream to the edges of the pastry.
- 13Broil 30 seconds to 1 minute to brown the meringue.
- 14Freeze the pie for at least several hours.
- 15To prepare the hot chocolate sauce, put the chocolates, 1½ cups of sugar, and ¾ cup of heavy cream in the top of a double boiler.
- 16Cook until the sauce is thick and melted.
- 17Add the balance of the cream to achieve a pouring consistency.
- 18Drizzle hot chocolate sauce over each serving.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mile-High Ice Cream Pie
Serving Size: 1 (280 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1228.0
- Calories from Fat 666
- Total Fat 74.0 g
- Saturated Fat 39.1 g
- Cholesterol 117.4 mg
- Sodium 373.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 141.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.9 g
- Sugars 103.2 g
- Protein 17.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
peppermint ice cream