This is such a wonderful lasagna recipe! Very hearty and delicious with nice deep layers, plenty of meat and cheese, and just the right amount of seasoned sauce--- plus it's a great way to sneak some veggies into your family's meal!! Very easy to prepare, and any leftovers are great reheated the next day. Equally good with chopped spinach or zucchini.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced thinly into 1/4-inch pieces (or about 1-2 cups chopped spinach)
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed and minced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano leaves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon anise seed, crushed (optional)
- 1 (4 ounce) can sliced mushrooms (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup snipped fresh parsley (optional)
- 1 (26 -28 ounce) jar spaghetti sauce, any flavor
- 1⁄4 cup dry red wine
- 11 -12 lasagna noodles, uncooked
- 1 lb part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 cups part-skim mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Brown the beef, onions, zucchini, and garlic in 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet, stirring to break up meat.
- Stir in the oregano, basil, pepper, crushed anise seeds, sliced mushrooms, parsley, spaghetti sauce, and wine.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the beaten egg and the ricotta cheese, beating well until mixture is smooth. Stir in the grated Parmesan cheese, combine well.
- Grease the bottom and sides of the crock pot (I use cooking spray or butter).
- Layer about 1/4 of the meat sauce mixture in the bottom of the crock pot. Put a layer of noodles on top of that (break noodles to fit, overlapping is fine). Put about 1/3 of the cheese mixture and sprinkle with 1/4 of the mozzarella. Repeat with sauce, noodles and cheese for another two layers. Top with meat sauce and a little Parmesan and shredded mozzarella on top.
- Cover and cook on low for 4-6 hours (4 hours on HIGH plus 30 minutes on LOW, in my 1990s 'older' model 4-Quart crock pot), or until noodles are tender.
I've been making lasagna most of my life. I've been called the lasagna wizard but, this one tops them all! I use Italian sausage and I use a couple different cheeses in addition to what is mentioned here. This is THE BEST lasagna recipe ever. I look at recipes as a "suggestion" and then go from there. This one is so good, I even converted it to an oven lasagna and it was just as good. Thank you for sharing!!!
This is a delicious, hearty lasagna! I made it exactly as written, with the "optionals". It was wonderful, I wouldn't change a thing! The added bonus was making it in the crockpot! I will definately make this again. Thank you!
I saved this recipe you posted months ago thinking it looks good maybe I'll try it. I finally gave it a whirl but not sure about the veggies inside. I will do lasagna no other way now! I really thing the veggies give it substance and doesn't subtract from the flavors in any way which is what I was originally afraid of. I use Barilla no boil noodles but know from my past experiments you can do the same with regular nooldes laryering them dry and obtain the same great results. BecR this is truly a gem of a recipe and one I will keep. I only hope more poeple with try it. Many Thanks!