Prep 15 hrs
Cook 2 hrs 10 mins
I could not believe how high this bread was - and it was an experiment too! Wonderful flavours of bacon & onion with just a smidge of mixed herbs. Just crisp up your bacon & fry your onion, and then it all goes in the breadmaker for a delectable bread! Just think - you can have an English Breakfast just by adding some scrambled eggs on top of a slice of this bread!
- Fry your bacon in it's own fat in a frying pan and when nearly crispy & cooked, add the diced onion. Stir around thoroughly & continue to cook until the bacon is crispy & the onion soft.
- Drain well & allow to cool slightly.
- Put the ingredients into your bread machine in the order that is written in your manual; mine is wet first & dry last.
- Make sure that the yeast does not come into contact with the liquid.
- Select the 1 kilo or 2lb setting on White Rapid or White Normal; choose your crust finish.
- Do not add the bacon and onion to the Extras tray - there is too much!
- Add the bacon & onion when extras are added in the cycle - towards the end of the kneading time.
- When cooked, take out straight away with OVEN GLOVES & turn out to cool on a wire cooling rack.
- If the paddle stays in the bread - remember to take it out BEFORE cutting the bread.
- Serve with butter, eggs, cheese or by its self with salad.
- This is also wonderful toasted too!
This makes a lovely bread and to be honest, I thought it was even better the next day. (Makes a delicious sandwich with good ol' scrambled eggs, by the way!) Didn't have Mixed Herbs, so used Italian Herbs as a sub. Made the dough in the bread machine and then popped it in the oven at 175Â°C for 40 minutes.
This bread rose so high it stuck to the lid of my breadmaker! However, apart from the fact the top sunk, it was a delicious and flavoursome bread. I used dried oregano and a little basil as the herbs but followed the rest of the instructions as written. I toasted the remainder the next day and made ham sandwiches with lettuce and mayonnaise. They were a treat! Highly recommended for sandwiches.
This was so good! I followed the recipe exactly and it turned out perfect! My husband LOVED the bread he was so sad when we ran out of eggs and he couldn't make an egg sandwhich, so we made grilled cheese sandwhiches adn they were wonderful!! My husband has requested this bread be in the house at all times! Thanks so much for posting the recipe!