1/2 Photos of Mile-High Chocolate Cream Cheese Pie
1 hr 10 mins
Leslie in Texas's Note:
This chocoholics dream comes from a February 1979 issue of Houston Home/Garden that featured chocolate.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1/4 cup pecans, chopped finely
- 1 1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
For the Filling
- 4 ounces semisweet chocolate
- 2 ounces bittersweet chocolate
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 3 egg whites
- 1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup whipping cream
For the Topping
- 2Combine the pecans with the graham cracker crumbs,sugar and cinnamon until well mixed.
- 3Add the melted butter and stir again until all the mixture is moistened.
- 4Place in a 9 inch pie plate and pat firmly with fingers or the back of a spoon to coat the bottom and sides evenly.
- 5Bake in a preheated 375 degree oven until the crust is firm to the touch and lightly browned, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- 6Allow to cool completely before filling.
- 8Cut the chocolate in small pieces and place in the top of a double boiler over simmering water. Stir constantly until the chocolate mixture begins to melt.
- 9Remove from heat and stir until the chocolate is melted and is completely smooth and shiny. Set aside to cool.
- 10With an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese until very smooth.
- 11Add the vanilla and 1/4 cup sugar and continue to beat again until smooth.
- 12Scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl often to make sure the ingredients are well combined.
- 13Beat 2 egg yolks, one at a time.
- 14When smooth, pour in the cooled chocolate and beat until well blended.
- 15In another bowl, beat the egg whites with the cream of tartar until they form soft peaks.
- 16Gradually add the sugar and beat until a very shiny, stiff meringue has formed.
- 17In a chilled bowl, whip the cream with chilled beaters until if forms a firm, but not stiff, peak.
- 18Carefully fold the cream into the chocolate mixture and then fold in the meringue.
- 19Mound the filling in the prepared crust so that is highest in the middle.
- 20Refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight.
- 22Just before serving, in a chilled bowl with chilled beaters, whip the cream with the vanilla and sugar.
- 23When soft, firm peaks are formed, ice the pie.
- 24A third of the cream may be placed in a pastry bag and used to decorate the edges.
- 25Top with the chocolate curls and serve.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mile-High Chocolate Cream Cheese Pie
Serving Size: 1 (147 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 642.1
- Calories from Fat 449
- Total Fat 49.8 g
- Saturated Fat 28.9 g
- Cholesterol 175.1 mg
- Sodium 252.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 33.9 g
- Protein 8.4 g