Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
5-Ingredient Fix Contest Entry. Have you ever made cabbage pockets? Some people call them Kraut Burgers. My mom calls them German Hamburgers. I am referring to the little buns of dough filled with hamburger and cabbage. I used to make the dough from scratch - let it rise, punch it, and all that. Too much work for this girl! I have an easier way… a casserole that tastes like cabbage pockets. This is much easier to make because you don't have to roll out the dough to make individual burgers.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 (16 ounce) bag coleslaw mix (cabbage and carrots)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) bag Simply Potatoes Diced Potatoes with Onion
- 2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 2 (8 ounce) cans refrigerated crescent dinner rolls
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F.
- In stockpot, brown ground beef over medium heat for 8 to 10 minutes or until beef is thoroughly cooked, stirring frequently. Add coleslaw mix. Cover pan and cook, stirring often, until cabbage softens, about 10 minutes. Mix in potatoes. Stir in soup. Cover and reduce heat to low to keep warm.
- Unroll 1 can of dough. Press in 13x9-inch glass baking dish to form bottom crust. Spread cabbage mixture evenly over crust. Unroll second can of dough on wax paper. Press seams together to make one sheet. Place over top to form top crust. Press and tuck edges to seal.
- Bake 25 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand 5 minutes. Cut into 8 squares.
This recipe is so easy. I have found that it makes a difference in the brands of products used. I used brand name products except for the slaw. I used the store brand because the carrots were small slithers and I like it better. I give this 5 stars.
My husband liked it.
I had to make this recipe as it seems like there is a new review for it almost every day! It was pretty good, but I was hoping for more based on the other 100+ great reviews. I think this needs more liquid of some type, definitely some seasonings, and my potatoes were only half-cooked, so that was a bit disappointing. Otherwise we enjoyed the recipe and would try it again with modifications. Thanks for posting your recipe!