Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
I got this recipe in a church cookbook years ago and have been making them ever since. They are extremely tender with a flavor that no store bought biscuit could ever come up with. Makes breakfast or any meal special. (And they are so easy too)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 1⁄8 cups milk
- Combine dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Add egg and milk;mix until dough forms a ball.
- Turn dough out on a lightly floured surface and knead 10- 12 times, only.
- Roll out to 3/4 inch, cut with floured cutter.
- Place on lightly greased baking sheet.
- Bake at 475 degrees for 12- 15 minutes or until light brown.
Mysterygirl, these are Fab-u-lous!! I just finished one off and you can be sure I will be making these again. Very easy to put together. I was worried about the high heat, and they were very brown but very flaky and moist. Delicious with strawberry jam. I totally agree with Yooper. You have a winning recipe here. Thanks for posting.
Wonderful recipe! After kneading the dough, I pat it into a rectangle 3/4" thick and use a knife to cut square biscuits. This is quicker than rolling it out & using a biscuit cutter and it produces a more tender result, because the less you handle the dough, the better. These biscuits brown quite a bit, but are so moist and delicious. Yum!
I'm a southern gal who has always believed that a biscuit wasn't a biscuit unless it was made with buttermilk AND I was a little apprehensive about putting an egg in a biscuit recipe. I've been making "angel" biscuits for years, (the ones with yeast in the recipe)and seriously doubted that any recipe could beat that one. Boy was I wrong!! These biscuits are wonderful!!! I made them without adding the cream of tartar because I was out of it and they still came out absolutely perfect. Very tender, delicious and easy to make. Thanks Mystergirl.