Recipe by swirlycinnacakes
From Cook's Illustrated
Top Review by Nancy Ann
These biscuits were awesome. They turned out beautifully and tasted so good. I made exactly as the recipe stated. I get disgusted with people who change everything about a recipe and then give it a bad review. There is no need to change a thing.
- 2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- additional flour
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 500ºF. Spray a 9 in springform or cake pan with some nonstick spray.
- Add flour, baking powder, baking soda, sugar and salt to a bowl and mix the ingredients together evenly. Using a fork or pastry blender, cut in the butter until the pieces are no bigger than a small pea. Fold in the buttermilk until everything is just blended, and there are no streaks of flour remain. Do not overmix, the mixture should still be lumpy.
- Line a plate or tray with some flour and using a 1/4 C measuring cup or 1/4 C ice cream/cookie scoop, scoop out balls of the dough onto the tray of flour. Flour your hands and roll each ball around in the flour to evenly coat them in a layer of flour. The dough is very wet and very sticky. Place the dough balls into the prepared pan. Place 9 balls around in a ring and 3 balls in the center of the pan. Brush the tops of the biscuits with melted butter.
- Bake for 5 minutes at 500ºF (middle rack) and then lower the temperature to 450ºF and bake for another 15 minutes.