Recipe by Demandy
This is a mild, slightly sweet dish I concocted because I wanted to combine an Acorn squash with some ground turkey and barley. Barley is my new favorite grain, this is a very healthy combo! Note: You can probably put the diced squash in uncooked and it will cook with the rest of the food, but I wasn't brave enough to try it on my first attempt. My research found that steamed squash can cook in 25 minutes, so it should have plenty of time to cook in this dish without pre-nuking.
Top Review by Mary of the Midwest
We thought this was an awesome, healthy dinner! There's only two of us so I made a half recipe and it worked out great. In fact, we're planning on making it again later this week to use up the other half of the ingredients! The only difficult part was cutting up the acorn squash but it was my first time, so it might get better with practice. Thanks Panthur, I always love your rice cooker recipes (and cookbook)!
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 tart apple, diced
- 1⁄2 yellow pepper, diced
- 1 acorn squash (or butternut)
- 1 lb lean ground turkey (or beef or lamb)
- 3 teaspoons curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garam masala (optional)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup water
Directions See How It's Made
- Cut squash in half and put in microwave dish, cut sides down. Nuke covered for 5 minutes on high in 1/4" of water.
- Turn on rice cooker (regular switch or quick steam) and cook turkey and onion together. When turkey is browned, drain off fat.
- Remove squash from microwave. Careful, it is hot! Score the squash flesh vertically and horizontally to make 1 inch squares. Scoop out squash cubes into cooker.
- Add rest of ingredients to cooker. Stir to combine.
- Set rice cooker to "brown rice" setting and cook until done. If you have a one button cooker, turn it on and check when done. You may need to do 1.5 cycles to fully cook the barley.