Recipe by Jellyqueen
I love this recipe! This is easy and always a big hit. It is not spicy but very tasty indeed!
Top Review by cakromm
Thank you Melissa for a great recipe! Very tasty and easy to put together. I reduced the simmer time to 30 minutes and would not use the corn starch another time as it appeared to be thick enough. Enjoyed by all and will certainly make again!
- 1⁄2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 clove of minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons shortening
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 16 ounces stewed tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 1⁄2 cup chopped bell pepper
- 12 ounces frozen shelled shrimp, thawed or 12 ounces fresh shrimp
- prepared white minute rice, to serve over
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet, Saute onion, celery and garlic in the shortening until tender.
- Add stewed tomatoes, tomato sauce, salt, sugar, worcestshire sauce and chili powder.
- Simmer uncovered for 45 minutes.
- Combine cornstarch and water and add to skillet mixture to thicken.
- After it has thickened, add shrimp and bell pepper.
- Cover and simmer 10-15 minutes.
- Serve over White Minute Rice.