Recipe by Louise in Montreal
We are not so fond of hot sauces or hot peppers as such; it is a cultural thing, I presume. On the other hand, mild peppers are a treat and we love them. So, for the mild pepper lovers of RecipeZaar, here is my favorite pepper jelly. It can be done with red peppers or green or orange ones or a mix of peppers!! We have this on bagels spread with cream cheese or on anything that you wish, such as ham, roast, crackers, sandwiches, etc.. As a family secret, I will add that to avoid the sticking in the bottom of the pots when preparing ketsups and chutneys, we always put 3 equally-spaced pennies on the burner. Nothing sticks to the bottom of the pots this way. Try it!!
Top Review by SaintAllie
Super quick, easy and seal of approval from the teenagers, I bought two boxes of capsicums from the grocer that were getting on a bit and starting to wrinkle ( they were cheap!). Good colour and flavour, excellent with cream cheese and crackers. Highly recommended recipe. Thanks! Allie
- 12 mild red peppers (about 8 cups total after passing them in the food processor)
- 1 tablespoon coarse salt
- 3 cups white sugar
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 3 freshly ground garlic cloves (about3 big cloves is good)
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare the peppers by deseeding, cuting away the membranes and pass them in a food processor or through a food mill.
- Put the grounded peppers in a bowl, add the coarse salt and let stand for 4 hours at room temperature.
- After that time, rince thoroughly under cold water. Drain well.
- In a dutch oven, put the peppers and the rest of the ingredients and bring to boil, then lower the heat to medium so that the preparation cooks with small bubbles; cook 30 minutes counting from the time it started to boil, stirring occasionally. The color will be a wonderful dark red and the peppers will be slightly transparent.
- Pour boiling in your sterilized jars and close the lids.
- Count the "pocs" of the jars to be sure that they are well sealed.
- Wait until the jelly is cooled down before eating.