Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is my Mom's recipe. I prefer to omit the bacon and use olive oil in its place. Additional spices, like cumin or cayenne, may be added for more heat, but I like this particular recipe because it is so tasty on its own and it can cool down or balance out any spicy foods that it may be accompanying.
- 3 slices bacon or 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 3 cups V8 vegetable juice
- 1⁄2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- Fry the bacon until crisp, remove the bacon from the pan and crumble.
- Saute the rice and onion in the drippings/olive oil until the onion is soft, stirring constantly.
- Add the V8 juice and green pepper.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for about 25 minutes or until the rice is tender and liquid is absorbed, stirring occasionally.
- Fluff with a fork and garnish with the crumbled bacon.