Prep 0 mins
Cook 1 hr
- 1 1⁄4 lbs mild Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 1⁄2 cups celery, sliced
- 4 cups fresh tomatoes, peeled, cut in wedges (save juice) or 2 (28 ounce) cans tomatoes
- 1 1⁄2 cups tomato juice
- 1 1⁄2 lbs zucchini, cut into 1/4 inch slices
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 green peppers, cut into 1 inch pieces
- mozzarella cheese, Shredded (for garnish) or parmesan cheese, grated (for garnish) or romano cheese (for garnish)
- Brown sausage in large, deep saucepan.
- Add sliced celery and cook for 15 minute.
- Drain off fat. Add tomatoes, tomato juice, zucchini and seasonings.
- Simmer, covered for 20 minute.
- Add green peppers, summer an additional 15 minute.
- Garnish with cheese. Serve with French bread.
- Note: For more liquid, add tomato juice (And I would use garlic cloves instead of garlic salt, if you like garlic).
How can anything with Italian sausage in it be bad??? This is great-tasting and easy to make! I cooked this in my dutch oven instead of a saucepan. I used 3 (instead of the 1 1/2) cups of chopped celery and made sure that I used the hearts then the rest of the stalks. I think that this type of stew or dish is best when you layer the seasonings so I really sort of sprinkled the salt and pepper and other seasonings each time I added vegetables instead of putting the salt (especially) and other seasonings in all at once. Also, I used garlic powder instead of garlic salt. I used 1 red bell pepper and 1 green and I thinly sliced my zucchini on a mandoline. Used 12 oz fresh cherry tomatoes, halved and 2 cans of fire-roasted tomatoes slightly drained. Finally, I reversed the order that I put the peppers and zucchini into the dish. I added the peppers after the celery had cooked down a bit because I thought they needed more cooking time than the zucchini then the zucchini was my last vegetable that I added. Served with a little orzo pasta. We really enjoyed this Italian dish, thanks for the recipe Pipman!!!!
Sorry, but this was a waste of fresh veggies for me. I tried to perk it up by serving it over rice but in the end we tossed the whole thing.