Recipe by Mini Ravindran
Lik a whiff of cool air on a blistering hot day !!
Top Review by alliestar
Easy to make! I omitted the chilli. I added: 1 clove garlic crushed with the onions and to the coconut milk I also added 2 small lemon grass stalks chopped + 2 kaffir lime leaves. I served with jasmine rice. My 18month old gobbled it up, and my husband loved it.
- 3 cups yellow pumpkin (finely cubed)
- 2 cups coconut milk (tinned or homemade)
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 -3 whole dried red chilies
- 1 tablespoon butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil 6 cups of water in a pot, add 1 tsp.
- of salt and when it starts boiling add pumpkin pieces.
- Allow the water to boil for 4 minutes.
- Strain, run under cold water and reserve the pumpkin.
- Mash it lightly.
- Heat butter in a thick bottomed pan and add red chillies first.
- Wait for a few seconds till the chillies begin to release their colour in the butter.
- Proceed to add salt, black pepper and onion.
- Sauté till the onion is translucent.
- Add blanched pumpkin and sauté gently for 5-7 minutes.
- Now add coconut milk, cover the lid and let the gravy simmer on medium heat for 10-12 minutes.
- Stir occasionally.
- OR microwave the preparation for 9 minutes.
- Serve warm with breads or steamed white rice.