Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
I live in the Southwest US and have been told that my chili is more like a soup than chili. I can't handle hot stuff so I prefer this recipe to any other. The basis of this recipe is from my uncle, but I've made a few changes. When using stew meat, the chili needs to simmer for at least 45 minutes - if not longer. 2 pounds of ground beef can be used instead if you're short on time. Pinto beans can be substituted for kidney beans. I started using a combination of light and dark kidney beans because an ex boyfriend preferred the light and I like the dark. It was a nice compromise! Actually, it was his suggestion to put in the stew meat too. :)
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 lb stew meat (in one inch chunks)
- 1 (15 ounce) can red kidney beans
- 1 (15 ounce) can dark red kidney beans
- 2 -3 stalks chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 (8 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 2 (8 ounce) cans water
- 2 (10 ounce) cans tomato soup
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- Cook garlic and meat in hot oil.
- Add onion, celery, salt, tomato sauce, tomato soup, water, chili powder and stir.
- Simmer over low heat for about 45 minutes.
- Add beans in the last 15 minutes of cooking.