Prep 5 mins
Cook 40 mins
Nice, mild side dish that children like as well. This is one of my favorites I found in a cookbook. I add green bell pepper when I have it on hand.
- 2 slices bacon, diced to 1/4-inch
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, undrained
- 2 cups long-grain rice
- 1 (10 ounce) can chicken broth, condensed
- 3 cups water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- pepper, to taste
- In large saucepan, cook bacon in olive oil 6-8 minutes over low heat.
- Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring until tender, another 6-8 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and cook over medium-high heat until the water has been absorbed, about 10 -15 minutes.
- Stir with a fork, cover and cook over low heat around 10-15 minutes or until rice is tender.
I made this for some friends and they loved it.