Prep 0 mins
Cook 45 mins
Delicious, creamy and simple. You can add rum-soaked raisins when you add the milk if you wish. I serve it with crushed-berry syrup or applesauce. This is the way all of my husband's family (in Germany) makes it. They generally serve it as a main dish rather than a desert, but cut down the sugar a bit.
- 2 cups short or medium grained white rice (uncooked)
- 4 cups water
- 1⁄2 tablespoon salt
- 4 cups milk (divided - 3 cups/1cup)
- 1⁄2-1 1⁄2 cup sugar (to taste)
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons vanilla
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 3 tablespoons butter
- Bring rice, water and salt to boil. Cover and reduce heat to low.
- Cook 20 minutes, until all water is absorbed.
- Add 3 cups milk, sugar and vanilla to rice.
- Simmer on low, stirring often, about 20 minutes, until most of milk is absorbed.
- Beat eggs until smooth, add 1 cup milk and beat until thoroughly combined.
- Slowly pour egg mixture into rice and continue cooking until desired consistency (about 5 minutes). Remove from heat.
- Add butter and stir until butter is thoroughly melted and incorporated.