Prep 1 hr
Cook 15 mins
Cuban seak is usually butterflied or pounded thin and served almost crispy. Top with lemon juice & raw onion.
- 1 lb skirt steak (cut or pound into several thin steaks)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt or 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1⁄2 sour orange
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 eggs
- Sprinkle garlic salt and pepper onto steaks and marinate refrigerated for one hour in juice of sour orange.
- After 1 hour, beat eggs and add salt.
- Let all juice drip off steaks, dip in egg and roll in breadcrumbs.
- Fry in hot oil until brown.
I didn't have a sour orange, but I hope that a half and half mix of orange juice and lemon juice is a reasonable substitute. In any case, it produced a really DELICIOUS flavor in a recipe that stretched an inadequate amount of cheap meat (chuck steak), into a completely fullfilling meal. I made a Latin dinner, serving this with Spanish Rice - Great Alone or for Stuffing. They went together beautifully!