Recipe by Mrs. Ambrosia
I LOVE milanesa, it's basically a mexican chicken fried steak with no gravy, I sprinkle with lemon and serve with my Easy Mexican Rice, salad and sliced avocado.
- 1 lb thinly sliced top round steaks (1/4 inch thick) or 1 lb rib eye (1/4 inch thick)
- 15 -20 saltine crackers, finely crushed
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 -2 egg (add a touch of milk for egg wash)
- olive oil (for frying, or whatever kind of oil you like to use to fry.)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat Oil.
- Salt and Pepper flour on one plate.
- Make Egg Wash.
- Crush Saltines, I use a food processor, adding in garlic powder, onion powder and pepper. Put crumbs on another plate. (No need to add salt as the saltines are salty enough.).
- I usually cut the steaks in half to fit in the frying pan, but you can leave them in one big piece if the steaks will fit in yours.
- Dip steak in flour, then egg then cover with saltine crumbs.
- Fry in oil for about 3-5 minutes on each side until nicely browned. It won't take long because the steaks are so thin.
- Drain on Paper Towels.
- OPTIONAL: Serve with Avocado, Pico de Gallo, Salad, Rice and/or Beans and sprinkle steaks with lemon juice.