Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
My kids and I prefer meatless spaghetti sauce. (Hubby has to have meat in everything, but that's his problem.) DS#2 got his interest in cooking from this recipe. I let him sit on a high stool by the stove and his job is to gently stir the sauce. Keeps him busy for a good 30 minutes. He is a self-proclaimed "good cooker." ;) This makes enough for a very saucy 1 lb of spaghetti or a not-as-saucy 1 1/2 lb spaghetti.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 1 (4 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1⁄3 cup water
- 1⁄3 cup red wine
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground fennel
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 -1 1⁄2 lb spaghetti noodles, cooked, drained and hot
- In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Add the onions, green pepper, mushrooms and garlic; sautee and stir for about 5-6 minutes or until veggies are soft.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, water, red wine, salt, pepper, oregano, basil, thyme, ground fennel seed, and sugar. Stir well.
- Gently simmer, stirring often, for 30-40 minutes.
- Stir in the sour cream and simmer for another five minutes.
- Adjust seasonings and serve over 1 - 1 1/2 lbs hot ccoked "paghetti"!
This one's missing something. I simmered all that from scratch sauce for the whole half an hour, then ended up adding Ragu!