I came up with this easy time-saver when I was trying to expand my picky son's palatte, and he still loves it. I've also served it to my non meat eating niece, who kept picking out the red peppers and she loved it as well.
- 2 lbs cheese tortellini, prepackaged (or approximate. the large one plus a small is what I usually use)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion
- 1 (10 ounce) jar red peppers (or 3 red peppers, roasted and peeled)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons dried basil or 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- Fill a large pot with hot water and set to boil on stove/cooktop.
- Heat the olive oil on medium heat in a large deep pan, and dice the onion while the oil heats.
- Add the onions to the pan and stir occasionally -- at the same time dice the red peppers.
- When your hot water is at a boil, add the tortellini and set a timer.
- Add the red peppers, crushed peppers and dried basil to the onions, stir, and let saute gently for 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes and basil to the sauce and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and let it reduce. If you use fresh basil, add it a minute before serving.
- Drain tortellini well, and put back in the pot and cover. Check the sauce for desired consistency.
- Add sauce to the tortellini, plate and serve with fresh grated parmesan cheese.
Nice simple sauce and fresh, I used a good quality Italian diced tomatoes and definitely fresh basil. Fresh flavors. I made the sauce ahead because I'm working today and I took it for the guys and I at lunch. A nice side salad, but we only have 1 burner, so I am doing the cheese tortellini down there, but the sauce is done. (minus the fresh basil of course), but I had to taste the sauce and I really liked it. My only change, just a little salt and pepper and I used Pecorino Romano (which will not affect the recipe whatsoever), it just happen to be what I had on hand. My cheese tortellini was just a fresh one from my local grocery store. I think mine was a 3 cheese, but any cheese would work great with this. I will definitely make this sauce again.
This is a real winner! The sauce is just perfect - a little sweet, a little spicy. The sauce would be good on anything - other pasta, chicken, crackers. Will definitely make again! Thanks!