1/1 Photo of Mikey's Cheese Tortellini With Roasted Red Pepper Sauce
I came up with this easy time-saver when I was trying to expand my picky son's palatte, and he still loves it. I've also served it to my non meat eating niece, who kept picking out the red peppers and she loved it as well.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs cheese tortellini, prepackaged (or approximate. the large one plus a small is what I usually use)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion
- 1 (10 ounce) jar red peppers (or 3 red peppers, roasted and peeled)
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons dried basil or 2 tablespoons fresh basil, chopped
- 1Fill a large pot with hot water and set to boil on stove/cooktop.
- 2Heat the olive oil on medium heat in a large deep pan, and dice the onion while the oil heats.
- 3Add the onions to the pan and stir occasionally -- at the same time dice the red peppers.
- 4When your hot water is at a boil, add the tortellini and set a timer.
- 5Add the red peppers, crushed peppers and dried basil to the onions, stir, and let saute gently for 1 minute.
- 6Add the tomatoes and basil to the sauce and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and let it reduce. If you use fresh basil, add it a minute before serving.
- 7Drain tortellini well, and put back in the pot and cover. Check the sauce for desired consistency.
- 8Add sauce to the tortellini, plate and serve with fresh grated parmesan cheese.
Browse Our Top Ravioli/Tortellini Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Ravioli/Tortellini Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mikey's Cheese Tortellini With Roasted Red Pepper Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (268 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 407.3
- Calories from Fat 91
- Total Fat 10.1 g
- Saturated Fat 4.3 g
- Cholesterol 47.6 mg
- Sodium 607.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 63.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.6 g
- Sugars 7.1 g
- Protein 16.6 g