Recipe by Julesong
We had some beautiful *huge* shrimp and some fresh sausage from Seattle's Pike Place Market that we wanted to cook for dinner, so here's what my husband did with them. He put together a sort of paella from foods we had in the veggie bin and pantry. It was absolutely delicious!!
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped red onions
- 4 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 1⁄2 cup sliced cucumber (or in half-moon slices, preferred)
- 1⁄2 cup roughly chopped roasted red pepper (from the jar is fine)
- 1⁄2 cup marinated artichoke hearts, drained
- 1⁄3 cup halved pitted large green olives
- 3 large garlic cloves, pressed
- 2 cups converted rice (such as Uncle Ben's)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon generous good quality saffron thread
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 cajun-spiced fresh sausages (about 3/4 pound)
- 13 1⁄2 ounces peeled tomatoes, drained
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 4 super-jumbo shrimp (approx 1 1/3 pound)
- 3 scallions, cut into 1-inch pieces
Directions See How It's Made
- Put 2 tablespoons olive oil into very large skillet (a paella pan is best) and add the chopped red onion, sauté until partially browned, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in another skillet, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat and add mushrooms and celery and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add the diced cucumber to the mushroom mixture and sauté an additional 5 minutes.
- Add mushroom mixture into the onion mixture in the large skillet, along with roasted red pepper, artichoke, olives, garlic, rice, saffron, and salt and pepper (to taste), and sauté for 7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in another pan (you can use the one from the mushroom mixture), sauté the fresh sausage until browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add browned sausage, tomatoes, and broth to the large skillet, stir and simmer for 5 minutes (do NOT stir after this point).
- Top mixture with the shrimp and scallions and simmer for an additional 10 minutes or until the rice is done and the super-jumbo shrimp are pink and cooked through - you can cover it for the last 5 minutes to help the shrimp cook through, if necessary.
- Serve immediately.