Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
I don't know who Mike is, or on which website I originally found his recipe, but it is a family staple. Thanks, Mike, whoever you are!
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into 1/2 inch strips
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 onion, sliced thin
- 1⁄2 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into 1/2 inch strips
- 1⁄2 lb hot Italian sausage link, casings removed and cut into 1/2 inch thick pieces
- 1 (14 ounce) can tomatoes, chopped, including juice
- 1⁄4 cup italian dry red wine
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 lb spaghetti
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄4 cup parmesan cheese, grated for sprinkling
- fresh parsley (optional)
- salt and pepper
- In a large saucepan, over medium-high heat, saute the onions, garlic, mushrooms, and bell pepper in the olive oil. Keep stirring until the vegetables begin to brown nicely.
- Add the chicken, sausage, can of tomatoes with juice, red wine, oregano, basil, and sugar.
- Simmer the mixture very gently, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes.
- While sauce is cooking, in a large kettle of salted water, cook the spaghetti until it is al dente, then drain well.
- Add the fresh cream to the tomato mixture. Adjust taste with sapt and pepper and simmer the sauce for another 3 minutes, or until it is thickened slightly.
- Remove the finished sauce from the heat.
- Serve tomato mixture over spaghetti, sprinkled with grated cheese and parsley.
This was a yummy Italian dish. I made it to specs except added a pinch of thyme and omitted the mushrooms. Full of flavor, and oh so easy to prepare. :) Keep em comin GB!