Recipe by prd2bbsn
Have used this version of the cookie for many years and am not sure where it came from. These turn out crispier than recipes using butter or extra water or eggs. After trying similar recipes, it's the one we prefer.
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon water
- 1 egg
- 2 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups M&M's
- M&M', for decorating the tops
Directions See How It's Made
- Blend the shortening and sugars. Beat in the vanilla, water & egg. In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the shortening mixture and blend thoroughly. Stir in the 1 1/2 C of M&M's.
- Drop by rounded teaspoons onto ungreased baking pans. Decorate the tops with additional M&M's.
- Bake at 375°F for 10-12 min or until golden brown. For a crispier cookie, be sure the tops look dry, not moist. Remove to cooling racks. Good eaten warm or allow to cool completely.
- Total baking time depends on the size of your pans & your oven's capacity.