Recipe by Lil Grammy
This is my son's adaptation of a old family favorite using Jello and fruits (originally crushed pineapple). We love raw fresh vegetable, eat lots of salads during the hot summer months here in Shasta County, California, so he just started experimenting with ingredients. While this salad is best when everything is most crispy, leftovers keep well in the fridge for several days.
- 1 (3 ounce) box lime Jell-O gelatin
- 1 (3 ounce) box lemon Jell-O gelatin
- 2 cups hot water
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 6 ounces evaporated milk (1/2 large can)
- 1 pint cottage cheese (curd you prefer)
- 2 carrots, long shred
- 1 granny smith apple, thin slice
- 2 celery ribs, medium chop
- 3 red radishes, thin slice
- 1⁄4 cup sunflower seeds, hulled
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Use microwave to heat water.
- In large mixing bowl, add both boxes dry Jello. Stir in hot water to completely dissolve Jello.
- Start preparing veggies/fruit/nuts, shred, chop, dice, whatever. About 2 cups works best and assures a bit of crunch in each bite.
- Then begin stirring into Jello mixture, one at a time, each of your prepared veggies/fruit/nuts.
- Blend in mayonnaise, blend in evaporated milk, and blend in cottage cheese.
- Add Lemon Pepper, give another real good stir so everything is well distributed.
- Can be poured into mold or attractive serving bowl if desired, or leave in mixing bowl. Return combined gelatin salad to fridge, thoroughly chill. Can be turned out onto plate or scooped.