Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Mike loved this. I read numerous recipes online, then did it my way. I hate ketchup & wanted to avoid using it, I think the balsamic adds the vinegar that you miss from the ketchup with a little extra sweetness & flair. I have an extensive spice rack & pantry, so substitute if needed.
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1⁄2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 tablespoon mustard powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Italian herb seasoning
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup onion, diced
- 1⁄4 cup bell pepper, diced
- 1⁄4 cup carrot, shredded
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 cup white wine or 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon oregano white balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sriracha sauce
- Mix brown sugar through thyme in a small bowl and set aside.
- Heat a drizzle of olive oil in skillet over medium-high heat, add onion, bell pepper, and carrots and sauté 2-3 minutes.
- Add ground beef and brown until cooked through breaking up with a spatula.
- Remove from heat, drain any excess fat.
- Return pan to medium heat add tomato paste and stir until evenly distributed & slightly brown.
- Add in sugar/spice mixture and stir thoroughly, add remaining ingredients, stir to combine.
- Heat until simmering, reduce heat to medium low, simmer 20 minutes stirring occasionally.
Loved this!! Perfect balance of sweet & savory. An upscale version of Manwich without the icky processed food ingredients. Stayed true to the recipe except used 2T of regular balsamic as I didn't have the flavored one.