Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
People always rave about this chili and always ask me to make it.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 2 medium onions
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (6 ounce) can Italian-style tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- 1 beef bouillon cube
- 1 (40 ounce) can dark red kidney beans
- 1⁄2 whole green bell pepper, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 cup cold water
- 3 tablespoons tequila (optional)
- Combine the ground beef and onions in a kettle until meat is brown.
- Drain fat.
- Then add the remaining ingredients, except for the flour and 1/2 cup of water.
- Stir to blend.
- Cover and simmer for 1½ hours, stirring occasionally.
- When done, mix the 3 tbsp of flour with the 1/2 cup of cold water into the chili, mixing well until desired thickness.
- Remove bay leaf and enjoy.
This was the 1st time I made chili, so I followed the recipe exactly. It was very good and I had some leftover for lunch the next day, plus some for the freezer. I plan to make Left-over Chili Bake(#18046).
This is my go-to chili recipe. I use one large onion, diced carrots and a whole med. size green pepper. I up the chili powder to one heaping tablespoon and I add a sliced, seeded jalapeno. I don't add the tequila or bouillon cube and I hate thickening a good recipe with flour and water. I don't rinse the two 19oz. cans of red kidneys so the starch is from the beans thickens the chili. Great to freeze!! Thanks Mike!!
I found this recipe about a year ago and have been making this version ever since. It's very flavorful and everyone at works loves it when I bring it for potlucks. Don't cook it too long or you'll loose the freshness of the tomatoes and peppers.