Recipe by Steingrim
I wanted to make fruitcake this year that people would enjoy and actually eat. Here is the recipe I came up with. My sister-in-law even asked for it! (Please note that my wife came up with the title, not me.) Time does not include "curing." (can also make 3 to 4 full sized loaves, approx)
Top Review by MarielC
This recipe is really fabulous. I made this three weeks ago and tasted it tonight to make sure it was good. It is and then some! I made some changes based on what I had on hand. I didn't use Southern Comfort but 1/2 rum and 1/2 triple sec. I got five loaves from this which took only about an hours and 10 minutes to bake. It's fabulous!
- 1 lb dried currant
- 1 lb dried apricot
- 1⁄2 lb dried dates
- 1⁄2 lb dried fig
- 1⁄4 lb candied orange peel
- 1⁄4 lb candied lemon peel
- 1⁄4 lb crystallized ginger
- 1⁄2 lb walnuts
- 3 cups Southern Comfort
- 1 lb flour
- 1 lb brown sugar
- 1 lb butter
- 2 tablespoons lyle golden syrup
- 8 eggs
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3 -4 cups Southern Comfort, for soaking,as needed (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees F.
- Coarsely chop fruit, orange and lemon peel, ginger, and walnuts, then soak overnight in Southern Comfort.
- In a very large bowl (a very big KitchenAid mixer works well) beat together the butter, brown sugar, and golden syrup, then beat in the eggs one at a time.
- Add in flour, spices, and fruit-nut mixture.
- Put in a greased 10-inch square pan or put in greased mini loaf pans; do not fill pans more than 2/3 full.
- If using one pan, set it in a water bath to bake, but a water bath is not necessary for mini-loaves; bake at 275 degrees F for 3-4 hours (1-2 hours for mini loaves).
- Cakes are done when a toothpick inserted comes out clean and dry.
- Optional: soak finished fruitcake (s), wrapped in cheesecloth, in additional Southern Comfort.
- Optional (preferred): let loaves"cure" for about 30 days in an airtight container in a cool place.
- Makes about 25-30 mini loaves or 3 to 4 full sized loaves.