Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is truly the best cornbread I've ever had.
- 1 (24 ounce) box yellow cornmeal
- 3 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 cup butter, melted (not margarine)
- 1 ounce olive oil
- 3⁄4 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Spray a 13x19-inch pan with non-stick cooking spray (batter may be divided between two smaller pans, just adjust baking time accordingly. If a large pan isn't used, the batter will run over in the oven and burn).
- Mix all the dry ingredients together and make a well in the center.
- Stir all the wet ingredients together and pour all at once into the well in the middle of the dry ingredients.
- Stir just until the dry ingredients are dampened - don't overmix.
- Pour batter into pan, spread evenly, and bake for 25-30 minutes for the pan size given.