Recipe by Joy1996
My friend Mike gave me his recipe for homemade baked beans. They are absolutely wonderful.
- 3 (16 ounce) bagsbaby kidney beans
- 2 lbs bacon
- 1 1⁄2 large white Spanish onions
- 12 -16 ounces ketchup
- 3 tablespoons plain yellow mustard
- 1 ounce Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 1⁄2 ounces molasses
- hot sauce, to taste
- 2 teaspoons salt, to taste
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, to taste
- 1 1⁄2-2 lbs kielbasa
Directions See How It's Made
- The night before you want to serve the baked beans, carefully sort through the pkgs. of dry beans for small stones.
- Soak the beans in a large pot of water overnight. The beans will swell to at least twice their size, so make sure there is enough water in the pot to keep the beans underwater.
- The next day, drain the beans, refill the pot with water, and boil the beans until they are tender and not in the least chewy.
- While the beans are cooking, dice the bacon and place into another pot to cook. Cook until crisp, and drain all but 2T of the fat.
- Dice the onions and add to the pot with the bacon fat. Stir in the crisp bacon and and cook until the onions are carmelized, making sure to stir frequently so the bacon doesn't stick and burn.
- When the beans are tender, drain off all the water, return them to the pot and add the bacon and onions. Stir in the ketchup, mustard, brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, molasses, hot sauce, salt, and pepper.
- Cut the kielbasa into thin coins and and stir into the beans.
- Spray a large roasting pan with non-stick spray, pour in the beans, and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minute to one hour.