Recipe by mtodryk
Not sure where I got the base of this recipe, maybe off of a bean bag. Modified it to have a kind of cuban flavor.
- 1 lb black beans
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup carrot, shredded
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup potato, shredded like hash browns
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper (to taste)
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse beans and check for bad beans and rocks.
- In a large deep pot, bring beans & chicken broth to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 2 hours.
- Just before the 2 hours is up, melt butter in a skillet. Saute the onions, carrots and celery for 5 minutes.
- Add the sauted veggies and all remaining ingredients to the bean pot. Simmer, covered, 1 hour.
- Just before serving, stir in the lemon juice.