- 2 tablespoons prepared yellow mustard (such as French's)
- 3 cups ketchup
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 medium green bell peppers or 1 medium red bell pepper, diced
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup sorghum or 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 3⁄8 teaspoon table salt
- 3⁄8 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon mustard powder
- 3⁄8 teaspoon chili powder
- 3⁄8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3⁄8 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (to taste)
- 1 (28 ounce) can pork and beans, such as Campbell's
- 1 (19 ounce) can red kidney beans, rinsed
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) canlarge butter beans, rinsed
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can navy beans or 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can great northern beans, rinsed
- 4 -5 slices raw bacon or 1⁄4 cup pulled pork or 2 -3 cooked pork ribs
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, mix together mustard, ketchup, onion, bell pepper, brown sugar, sorghum or honey and spices. Stir until smooth. Add beans and stir gently until combined, being careful not to smash the beans too much.
- Pour into a 9x13 pan. Lay bacon strips over the top, or sprinke pulled pork evenly over the top. If using ribs, remove and shred the meat, then sprinkle over the beans. Cover with foil and bake 45 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake another 15 minutes, or until bubbly. Serve hot. Keeps refrigerated up to 1 week, or frozen up to 1 month.