Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This wonderful recipe comes from the former British Columbia premier's family. They served it with Spys, Ida Reds, Macs and Courtlands or with a mixture of fruit, e.g. apples and plums.
- 6 cups sliced peeled apples
- 1⁄3 cup granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons milk
- For apple filling, combine apples, sugar, 3 Tbsp.
- water and lemon juice; bring to boil, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat.
- Cover; simmer 3-5 minutes or until apples are just tender but still hold shape.
- Dissolve cornstarch in 1 Tbsp.
- water; stir into apple mixture.
- Cook, stirring, about 1 minute or until thickened.
- Pour filling into greased 8-inch square baking dish.
- Set aside.
- Topping: Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt in a bowl.
- Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Beat together egg and milk; stir into flour mixture until moistened.
- Drop batter into 6 mounds on top of hot filling Bake in preheated 400 F oven 20 to 25 minutes or until topping is golden.