Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
This may be low fat but it doesn't taste like it! You have to try this recipe! This is one of my best....
- 4 cups elbow macaroni, cooked (about 8 oz. dry)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3⁄4 cup fat free sour cream
- 1 cup low fat cottage cheese
- 8 ounces reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1⁄2 cup skim milk
- 2 tablespoons onions, grated
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons stick low-fat margarine, melted
- 1⁄4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon stick low-fat margarine
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- While noodles are cooking, mix together next 9 ingredients.
- Mix in cooked pasta, and pour into a 2 quart casserole dish sprayed with Pam.
- Mix bread crumbs, paprika and 1 TBSP melted margarine and sprinkle over top of casserole.
- Cover and bake for 45 minutes @ 350 degrees.
- Remove tin foil and bake for an additional 5 minutes.
I have a very similar recipe, only I use whole wheat pasta and fat-free cottage cheese. Like Mika G. says, it may be low-fat, but it sure doesn't taste like it! This has been a family favorite for quite a while now. Sometimes I add some chopped 98% fat free ham, just for fun. This recipe is a keeper!
Mmmmm... Made it as is... And OMGoodness just Mmm awesom this is gonna be a quick review cause I got to go get me some more!! Scrumptious!!!
Mmmm what comfort food! I'll first say what changes I made: I halved this recipe and cooked it in two loaf pans, making 4 servings. To make it super easy, I just blended all the sauce ingrediants in my Magic Bullet. It was a nice smooth sauce after that! I used whole wheat pasta and fat-free cottage cheese. I used green onions, but next time I think I will use the usual. I didn't have low-fat chedder, so I used half full-fat aged chedder, and half very low fat mild white cheese. I missed the tang of all chedder, so next time I'll just go buy some light chedder. Also, instead of bread crumbs and margarine, I just toasted some wheat germ with the paprika and sprinkled that on top for some fiberous crisp. Very, very delish though. Next time I'll just have to get that cheddar and that should fix the tang problem!