Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
Lebanese cabbage rolls stuffed with mince
- 1 large cabbage (600 g)
- boiled salt water
For the filling
- 1 medium onion, chopped fine (50g)
- 2 tablespoons clarified butter or 2 tablespoons oil
- 750 g mutton or 750 g lamb, minced or chopped
- 1 cup short-grain rice, washed and drained
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- salt and black pepper
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped fine
- 60 ml lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dried mint
- water, as required
- Separate the leaves of the cabbage after carefully coring it.
- Reserve the centre of it for a salad.
- Boil the cabbage leaves in the salted water till limp.
- (you should do this a few leaves at a time) Drain well.
- Cut the larger leaves into half taking out the ribs.
- Trim the ribs off the smaller leaves too.
- Put the ribs and excess leaves cut into the base of a large pan.
- Now saute the onions in the ghee (clarified butter) until translucent.
- Add the minced or chopped lamb and the other filling ingredients into the onion and stir well to combine.
- Place a tblsp of the filling into each cabbage leaf and roll tucking the edges in to form a sausage shaped roll.
- Put these rolls flap side down into the pan and sprinkle each layer with the garnish ingredients.
- Add enough water to cover the rolls and simmer for an hour.
- Serve hot or warm.